It's been more than 3 weeks since the last update. You can find the full Season Wrap-Up post HERE if you missed it.
I've been out of the country for a bit but been tracking weather in Utah. Generally, it's been showery, which is normal for Utah in the Spring. Most of these showers were generally mild so snow levels have been relatively high. But it has kept melting in check... We've been holding onto our snowpack fairly well so far with 117-200% of normal snowpack still for most of the main high elevation sites.
The main reason for the update today is we are tracking what could be a cold, very late season storm cycle moving in. Right now the models are portraying 3 separate systems over the next 10 days with the first one arriving Thursday night thru Friday, with another for early next week and another middle of next week. We could see snow accumulate above 7000 feet with significant accumulations possible in the highest elevations. Here is the latest GFS output:
The Euro also has the storms but is a bit less bullish. Still, even half of the above amounts would be significant for this time of year. Confidence in storms during the latter half of May is far lower than in the winter because the atmospheric and oceanic conditions are no longer conducive for snowfall, however, there is definitely still a chance this could come together. Obviously, Snowbird is the only resort still operating and that's only Friday-Sunday. Much of this snow may be next week when lifts aren't spinning.
I'll update later this week (probably Thursday) to see if the storms are still on track...
Evan | OpenSnow
Upgrade to All-Access and receive exclusive benefits.
- Hourly Forecasts for 3 days
- Daily Forecasts for 10 days
- Favorite & Timelapse Cams
- Custom Forecast Alerts
- No Banner Advertisements
- OpenSummit All-Access
See the whole picture for only $19/year and never miss another powder day.