By Sam Collentine, Meteorologist Posted 9 years ago October 23, 2014
REPORT: SIA - State of the Industry
SnowSports Industries America (SIA) released it's annual Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report on Thursday giving an overview of retail sales, trends, consumer behavior and participation.
A few statistics that stand out:
- 2013/2014 was a $3.6B season, up 7 percent in dollar sales and up 4 percent in unit sales, despite the drought in California.
- More girls bought snowboard equipment this year; junior girls snowboarding equipment sales grew 37 percent in units sold and 36 percent in dollars sold.
- Alpine equipment sales totaled $547 million for the 2013/2014 season, up 3 percent in dollar sales.
- There are 7,351,000 snowboarders in the Unites States with over 80 percent 34 years of age or younger.
- 617,000 alpine skis and 414,000 snowboards were sold during the 2013/2014 season.
Sam Collentine | OpenSnow