Mammoth Daily Snow

Heads up, there may be fresher snow! Read the latest Mammoth Daily Snow



Snow showers are possible Thursday. Friday through the weekend we will see sunny skies and warming temps. Sunday afternoon winds pick up as the next system comes through into Monday. We could see light snowfall into the middle of next week with more snow showers. Another storm is possible by Friday, April 7th.

Short Term Forecast

Storm Recap

Another 7 inches of snow fell in the last 24 hours! This was considerably more than I was expecting. The cold air and moist flow created the perfect conditions for the magic to happen. That brings our total to 702 inches for the season! We have joined the infamous 700 inch club for snowfall! This is an incredible feat for our region where we are fairly South in latitude compared to most if not all other resorts that have achieved 700 inches of snow in the past. 

And we have more snow coming in the next week... 

Thursday Snow Showers

There will be snow showers on Thursday morning. Winds are light over the summit now up to 15 MPH out of the Northeast. There will be clouds throughout the day and sun peaking through. Temps will be in the mid 20's across the mtn. I don't expect these snow showers to amount to nearly as much as yesterday's. We could see an inch or 2 by tomorrow morning at best. 

Friday - Sunday 

The sun comes out for the weekend. We'll have warming temps into the upper 30's by Saturday before a cool down again on Sunday. Winds will be up to 20 MPH out of the West Southwest on Friday. Up to 40 MPH on Saturday and then in the 50 - 70 MPH range on Sunday. So the nicest day is likely going to be Friday. The next storm moves in by Sunday evening. You can expect upper mtn. lift closures by Sunday afternoon. 

Sunday Evening through Monday 

The details of this storm have been evolving over the week. At this time it looks like the snow will start flying again by late afternoon Sunday or Sunday evening. It will continue into Monday. Temps will remain very cold with highs in the teens and maybe even single digits across the summit. The high winds will continue into Monday with gusts likely up to 50 MPH out of the West Southwest. 

This will be my initial snowfall forecast for this system. It's not a strong system and doesn't have a lot of moisture, but it is bringing very cold air. 4 - 8 inches for Main Lodge with 7 - 10 inches possible over the summit by Tuesday morning. 

I'll continue to update this as we get closer. 

Extended Forecast

The models show that snow showers could continue for quite a few days the middle of next week. Accumulations don't look significant at this time and it may just be afternoon showers that pop up because of daytime heating. Temps will warm from the teens into the 30's by Thursday. 

The next better chance for snowfall will be on Friday, April 7th. The Euro has been touting a storm for several days, while the GFS has not been as keen on it. Today the Euro is falling more in line with the GFS and lowering the intensity of the storm. Just like I said... I believe we'll see a solution in the middle between the 2 models. 

I'll keep you posted on what I see going forward into the heart of Spring in May. 

Till the next one... Mike out.