Previously, we combined information from our local forecasters, the National Weather Service (NOAA), and data from the ECMWF (European) weather model. This method only provided hourly data for the United States and relied on a single model to produce our snow forecasts for the next 10 days.
Why is this new forecast data better than the old forecast data? The benefits include:
- Blending multiple global models increases accuracy and confidence in the forecast.
- Hourly data for any location in the world.
- Proprietary snow-to-liquid calculation to improve accuracy, especially in colder environments.
- Improved method for calculating the snow level (elevation that separates rain from snow) to provide a more realistic forecast, especially at the beginning of storms and during times of intense snowfall.
- Ability to create a forecast for any location and elevation to ensure that we are forecasting conditions on the mountain and not for a nearby town.
We also plan to add even more global and high-resolution models into our proprietary forecast blend over time. Our goal is to create the most accurate snow forecast and we're just getting started.
The data can be viewed as hourly forecasts for the next 5 days and daily forecasts for the next 10 days. Available data includes:
- Chance of Precipitation
- Day & Night Snow Forecast
- Day & Night Snow Level
- Daily High & Low Temperature
- Hourly Temperature
- Hourly Wind Speed
- Hourly Wind Gust
- Hourly Cloud Cover %
This new blend of forecast data is available on OpenSnow for over 2,000 locations around the world and we are adding new locations every day.
Daily alerts are also included to signal upcoming powder days, along with the potential for rain, snow/rain, and high winds. Alert breakdown:
- Blue = Powder (Forecast of 6+ inches from the previous night and current day)
- Green = Rain (Expect rain on all of the mountain)
- Purple = Snow/Rain (Expect a transition from snow to rain on the mountain)
- Yellow = Wind (Wind gusts greater than 45mph and possible lift closures)
Use the links below to view the 10-day forecast for popular ski resorts around the world.
Explore Locations → OpenSnow.com/explore
Download → OpenSnow App
Have questions? Send an email to [email protected] and we'll respond as quickly as possible, usually within 24 hours!
Never miss another powder day with All-Access.
- Unlimited Daily Snows
- 10-Day Snow Forecasts
- Hourly Forecasts
- Advanced Map Overlays
- Daily Snow Email Delivery
- OpenSummit All-Access
"It is well worth the All-Access upgrade considering you get access to a 10-day HIGHLY accurate forecast. It’s a small price to pay for finding fresh powder."
— App Review