Mammoth Daily Snow

Heads up, there may be fresher snow! Read the latest Mammoth Daily Snow

2 Storms


The snow begins on Sunday and will continue into Monday morning. We should see a break Monday afternoon before the next storm comes in Tuesday morning. We should see more double digit totals by Thursday morning. A quick break on Thursday before another weak system is possible for Friday. Winter holds on as more weak systems are possible into the last week of March.

Short Term Forecast

Sunday Storm & Monday Showers

The snow is already pushing in this morning. It will get heavier as the day goes on with the heaviest snowfall expected over the afternoon into the overnight hours. Temps will be around the freezing mark at Main Lodge for the high today, so snow levels should run about 7,500 FT and likely drop to below 7K FT this evening. 

Winds will be gusty out of the Southwest today up to 60 MPH up on the summit. 

Monday will feature snow showers in the morning but intensity by late morning will drop off significantly. There could be blue skies by Monday afternoon. Temps will be cooler though in the upper 20's at the bases and the high teens up on the summit. Winds should also decrease slightly on the summit with gusts only up to 40 MPH out of the West Southwest. 

The total precip for this system is still around 1 inch of liquid. The models are actually in decent agreement this morning. Snow ratios could range in the 9 - 12:1 range. My snowfall forecast is for the Sunday and Monday time period. My snowfall forecast is still for 9 - 14 inches at Main Lodge, and the summit up to 16 inches. 

Tuesday Storm & Wednesday Showers

A similar story will occur with Tuesday into Wednesday. The system that will affect the deep Southern Sierra and SoCal will be moving on shore on Tuesday and bring an unfavorable Southerly and Southeasterly flow that will limit our accumulations.

The heaviest snow should fall Tuesday during the day with only weak snow showers remaining early Wednesday morning. And Wednesday afternoon we could see more blue skies and sun as the system clears out of the region. 

The temps with this system will be cooler though with only mid 20's expected at the bases during Tuesday & Wednesday. Temps on the summit will likely be in the teens. Winds will also be less strong overall with gusts on Tuesday up to 40 MPH out of the South and on Wednesday West Southwest gusts up to 30 MPH. 

For precip, the European is coming in a bit wetter than it did yesterday, with around 2 inches of liquid for this system. The GFS only has around 1.15 inches. So that's quite a difference and could mean the difference between a foot of snow or closer to 2 FT of snow. Other models are showing amounts much more in line with the GFS so the Euro is a bit of an outlier right now. 

I'm keeping my snowfall forecast the same as yesterday, which is the same as the Sunday into Monday system. You can expect 9 - 14 inches at Main Lodge by Thursday morning. Most of that will fall by Wednesday morning, with only a few inches expected on Wednesday. The summit could see up to 16 inches again. 

Thursday Sun

We should see more sun than precip on Thursday. Some models keep the moist air around and keep the snow showers going but I don't expect much if any accumulations. 

Extended Forecast

For the last several days the models have continued to show a very weak system coming through Thursday night into Friday, March 24th. That continues to be the case but I'm still only expecting an inch or so at best out of this system. 

The weekend of the 25 & 26th looks mostly clear and calm, but going into the last week of the month we could see more weak systems. The models suggest one as early as Monday, March 27th, almost like a repeat of this week's weather... 

Winter continues to want to hang on... I'll keep you posted as the active weather could continue well into April. 

Till the next one... Mike out.